21. The Politics of Cuban Transformation – what Space for Authoritarian Withdrawal?
- Vegard Bye
- Publication Date:
- Content Type:
- Working Paper
- Norwegian Institute of International Affairs
- The Cuban society is undergoing deep changes, more than fifty years after the Revolution and the same number of years with a Castro government. The focus of study is mostly on economic reforms. But economic transition also has great impact - gradually manifesting itself - on the entire political system. The direction of these changes is still quite unclear. In this Working Paper, "The Politics of Cuban Transformation - what Space for Authoritarian Withdrawal?", NUPI Research Fellow Vegard Bye analyzes the choice of direction and some scenarios in the political transformation process.
- Communism, Economics, and Political Economy
- Political Geography:
- Cuba, Latin America, and Caribbean