You searched for: Political Geography Europe Remove constraint Political Geography: Europe Journal The Cato Journal Remove constraint Journal: The Cato Journal Topic International Trade and Finance Remove constraint Topic: International Trade and Finance
- Author: Gerald P. O'Driscoll Jr.
- Publication Date: 01-2009
- Content Type: Journal Article
- Journal: The Cato Journal
- Institution: The Cato Institute
- Abstract: We remain in an economic crisis and financial crisis, one that Gary Gorton has named “The Panic of 2007” (Gorton 2008). The thesis of this article is that monetary policy has played a pivotal role. Under Alan Greenspan and now Ben Bernanke, the Fed has conducted monetary policy so as to foster moral hazard among investors, notably in housing (O'Driscoll 2008a). More generally, the crisis is the product of a “perfect storm” of misguided policy. Policies to encourage affordable housing fostered the growth of subprime lending and complex financial products to finance that lending. Regardless of the desirability of the social goal, the financial super- structure depended on housing prices never falling. Housing prices do fall sometimes, and did so decisively beginning in 2007 (Gorton 2008: 50).
- Topic: Democratization, Economics, International Trade and Finance, Markets, Privatization
- Political Geography: United States, Europe, New Zealand