You searched for: Political Geography Arabia Remove constraint Political Geography: Arabia Topic Security Remove constraint Topic: Security
- Author: Colin Rubenstein
- Publication Date: 08-2000
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs
- Abstract: The political influence of Islam is increasing in South East Asia. While the collapse of the Soviet Union and the Communist bloc have contributed to the decline of communism as a revolutionary political force in the region, religious and ethnic issues are now assuming renewed and increasing significance. Religious divisions based on Islam have exacerbated ethnic differences, and some religiously-oriented groups are engaging in violent and extreme acts that pose a potentially serious long-term threat to stability in the region.
- Topic: Security, Islam, Politics, Religion
- Political Geography: Middle East, Soviet Union, Arabia, Southeast Asia