You searched for: Publishing Institution United Nations University Remove constraint Publishing Institution: United Nations University Topic International Relations Remove constraint Topic: International Relations
- Publication Date: 06-2002
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: United Nations University
- Abstract: The mission of the United Nations University is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations, its Peoples and Member States. The work of the Peace and Governance Programme is a core element of this mission, and one that is complex and demanding. The concept of peace and security is evolving and broadening considerably, both in the worlds of academia and policy. Traditionally, national and international security were mainly defined in military and territorial terms, in an international system characterized by interaction among states. The UN Charter, while ultimately working in the interests of “the peoples,” is predicated on the relationship between unitary states in the maintenance of international peace and security. Within this system, the challenge was traditionally seen as mediating between liberal internationalist and power-political “realist” forces.
- Topic: International Relations, Development, International Organization, United Nations