You searched for: Publishing Institution The Washington Institute for Near East Policy Remove constraint Publishing Institution: The Washington Institute for Near East Policy Political Geography Iraq Remove constraint Political Geography: Iraq Topic Government Remove constraint Topic: Government
- Author: Simon Henderson
- Publication Date: 02-2001
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: The Washington Institute for Near East Policy
- Abstract: As Secretary of State Colin Powell and former President George Bush celebrate the tenth anniversary of the liberation of Kuwait, for many Gulf Arabs the occasion marks a decade since Saddam Husayn's tanks put the lie to the promises of security that local leaders had made to their people. After popular trust in these Gulf leaders was tarnished by their need to rely on U.S. and allied forces to expel the Iraqis (despite the billions of dollars of oil wealth these rulers had spent on high-tech weaponry over the years), Gulf monarchs started to concede to their peoples a greater say in political life.
- Topic: Security, Foreign Policy, Government, Human Rights, Politics
- Political Geography: United States, Iraq, Middle East, Kuwait