You searched for: Publishing Institution The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies (WIIW) Remove constraint Publishing Institution: The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies (WIIW) Political Geography Iran Remove constraint Political Geography: Iran Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Topic Global Political Economy Remove constraint Topic: Global Political Economy
- Author: Amat Adarov, Mahdi Ghodsi
- Publication Date: 05-2020
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies (WIIW)
- Abstract: The preferential trade agreement between the Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU) and Iran on mutual trade entered into force in October 2019. In this report we estimate its expected impact at aggregate and sectoral levels using the gravity model of trade based on the global sample of bilateral trade flows at the HS 6-digit level. The analysis suggests that the implementation of the agreement will boost mutual trade for both trading partners, with relatively greater gains expected for the EAEU’s exports to Iran. On aggregate, the total gains in mutual trade are estimated to reach almost USD 46 million, with exports from the EAEU to Iran expected to increase by 9.7%, compared with a rise in exports from Iran to the EAEU of up to 4%. The difference in the impact will also be significant across the five EAEU countries as well as across sectors, with the major export gains expected to accrue in the chemicals and agri-food sectors, especially trade in miscellaneous fruits and vegetables, as well as in the textile, polymer production and metals sectors.
- Topic: Economics, Treaties and Agreements, Global Political Economy, Exports, Trade
- Political Geography: Iran, Kazakhstan, Armenia, Belarus