You searched for: Publishing Institution Stockholm International Peace Research Institute Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Stockholm International Peace Research Institute Political Geography Norway Remove constraint Political Geography: Norway Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Topic Climate Change Remove constraint Topic: Climate Change
- Author: Siemon T. Wezeman
- Publication Date: 03-2012
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Stockholm International Peace Research Institute
- Abstract: In recent years the forecast of far-reaching climate change in the Arctic has led to fears of future conflict in the region. Such fears have been expressed in official documents, including defence policy documents, of the five Arctic littoral states—Canada, Denmark, Norway, Russia and the United States. Three of them—Canada, Denmark and Russia—have recently adopted foreign and defence policies that have put a special emphasis on the Arctic. They have strengthened their military presence in the Arctic or increased military capabilities for Arctic use and have presented plans for additional military strengthening. Meanwhile, Norway has moved a substantial part of its operational forces to the north of the country. Of the five littoral states, only the USA has placed less focus on Arctic security.
- Topic: Conflict Prevention, Defense Policy, Arms Control and Proliferation, Climate Change, Natural Resources, Territorial Disputes
- Political Geography: Russia, United States, Canada, Norway, Denmark