You searched for: Publishing Institution Council on Foreign Relations Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Council on Foreign Relations Political Geography Africa Remove constraint Political Geography: Africa Publication Year within 3 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 3 Years
- Author: Paul D. Williams
- Publication Date: 05-2015
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Council on Foreign Relations
- Abstract: The number of UN peacekeepers is at a record high, with nearly 110,000 uniformed deployed "blue helmets" worldwide, most of them in Africa. But the status quo is "untenable," warns Paul D. Williams, author and associate professor of international affairs at George Washington University, in a new Council Special Report, Enhancing U.S. Support for Peace Operations in Africa. Unrealistic mandates, unsustainable supplies of personnel, hostile host governments, and mission creep have undermined peace operations, Williams writes. "Given the growing interest in fostering a stable and prosperous Africa, the United States should wield its political influence to address these challenges."
- Topic: Foreign Policy, Humanitarian Aid, War, Fragile/Failed State, Peacekeeping
- Political Geography: Africa