You searched for: Publishing Institution Africa Center for Strategic Studies Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Africa Center for Strategic Studies Political Geography Asia Remove constraint Political Geography: Asia Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Topic Security Remove constraint Topic: Security
- Author: Bradley Anderson, Johan Jooste
- Publication Date: 05-2014
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Africa Center for Strategic Studies
- Abstract: Spikes in the prices of ivory and rhino horn have propelled an escalation in killings of African elephants and rhinoceroses. Without urgent corrective measures, extinction of these populations is likely. This is not just a wildlife poaching problem but part of a global illicit trafficking network that is empowering violent groups and co-opting some elements of Africa's security sector. An immediate bolstering of Africa's wildlife ranger network is needed to slow the pace of elephant and rhino killings and buy time. Addressing this threat over the longer term will require dramatically reducing the demand for these animal parts, especially within Asian markets.
- Topic: Security, International Trade and Finance, Regional Cooperation, Law Enforcement
- Political Geography: Africa, Asia