You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Political Geography Baltic Sea Remove constraint Political Geography: Baltic Sea Publication Year within 3 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 3 Years Topic Security Remove constraint Topic: Security
- Author: Katri Pynnöniemi, Charly Salonius-Pasternak
- Publication Date: 06-2016
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: The Finnish Institute for International Affairs
- Abstract: A change in the Baltic Sea regional security situation has already taken place and is having direct and indirect impacts on the countries in the region. Potential risks to stability in the Baltic Sea Region have been activated, although they are not yet, and hopefully never will be actualized in the form of open military conflict. Russia’s self-perception as a target of Western aggression is a way to legitimize assertive foreign policy towards the West in general and to continue military posturing in the Baltic Sea Region, where both the risks and possible gains for Russia are the greatest. Considering the full-spectrum approach to conflict and the web of relationships that exists throughout the Baltic Sea Region, it is possible to conclude that beyond a certain point, all Baltic Sea littoral states will not only be impacted but drawn into a conflict occurring in the region.
- Topic: Security
- Political Geography: Baltic Sea