You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution Minda de Gunzburg Center for European Studies, Harvard University Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Minda de Gunzburg Center for European Studies, Harvard University Political Geography Eastern Europe Remove constraint Political Geography: Eastern Europe Topic Authoritarianism Remove constraint Topic: Authoritarianism
- Publication Date: 01-2016
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Minda de Gunzburg Center for European Studies, Harvard University
- Abstract: Symbolic ensembles that are often displayed in the public sphere by right-wing populists are “thick” in this sense. They include many inter-locked symbols that – in combination – allow for a narrower range of possible interpretations and thus attract a smaller, in this case right wing leaning group of people. They constitute the symbolic base of Polish thick populism, an exclusionary and polarizing political-cultural formation, that at the moment is supported by well over one third of the Polish population, controls the government, and slowly dismantles Polish liberal democracy.
- Topic: Authoritarianism, Democracy, Domestic politics
- Political Geography: Europe, Eastern Europe, Poland