You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution Centre for European Policy Studies Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Centre for European Policy Studies Political Geography European Union Remove constraint Political Geography: European Union Publication Year within 25 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 25 Years
- Author: Guillaume Van der Loo
- Publication Date: 04-2016
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Centre for European Policy Studies
- Abstract: In an advisory referendum held in the Netherlands on April 6th, over 61% of the voters rejected the ratification of the Association Agreement (AA) between the EU and Ukraine. If the Dutch government were to act on the outcome of the referendum, which had a low turnout of 32%, an unprecedented situation would emerge in which an EU international agreement cannot enter into force because a member state is not in a position to ratify it. Although the political character of this referendum and the Dutch Advisory Referendum Act (DRA) and the geopolitical implications of the AA itself have already been the subject of heated discussions in the Netherlands and beyond, the legal implications of this referendum remain unclear.
- Topic: Diplomacy, Geopolitics
- Political Geography: Ukraine, Netherlands, European Union