You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution Center for Global Development Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Center for Global Development Political Geography Mexico Remove constraint Political Geography: Mexico Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Topic Agriculture Remove constraint Topic: Agriculture
- Author: Oeindrila Dube, Omar Garcia-Ponce, Kevin Thom
- Publication Date: 02-2014
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Center for Global Development
- Abstract: We examine how commodity price shocks experienced by rural producers affect the drug trade in Mexico. Our analysis exploits exogenous movements in the Mexican maize price stemming from weather conditions in U.S. maize-growing regions, as well as export flows of other major maize producers. Using data on over 2,200 municipios spanning 1990-2010, we show that lower prices differentially increased the cultivation of both marijuana and opium poppies in municipios more climatically suited to growing maize. This increase was accompanied by differentially lower rural wages, suggesting that households planted more drug crops in response to the decreased income generating potential of maize farming.
- Topic: Agriculture, Economics, Poverty, War on Drugs, Narcotics Trafficking
- Political Geography: Latin America, Mexico