You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution Carnegie Endowment for International Peace Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace Publication Year within 3 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 3 Years Topic Islam Remove constraint Topic: Islam
- Author: Nathan Brown
- Publication Date: 05-2017
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- Abstract: All Arab states have large, official Muslim religious establishments that give governments a major role in religious life. These establishments have developed differently, according to each state’s historical experience. Through them, the state has a say over religious education, mosques, and religious broadcasting—turning official religious institutions into potent policy tools. However, the complexity of the religious landscape means they are rarely mere regime mouthpieces and it can be difficult to steer them in a particular direction.
- Topic: Islam, International Affairs
- Political Geography: Global Focus