You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution Carnegie Endowment for International Peace Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace Political Geography Eastern Europe Remove constraint Political Geography: Eastern Europe Topic Communism Remove constraint Topic: Communism
- Author: Anders Åslund
- Publication Date: 03-2001
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- Abstract: According to official statistics, output plunged in almost all Soviet-type countries toward the end of communism. Then in the first year of transition, the plunges turned even more dramatic, continuing for years. The total registered declines in GDP range from 13 percent in the Czech Republic from 1989 to 1992 to 77 percent in Georgia from 1989 to 1994. This collapse has been widely proclaimed as the worst depression in the industrialized world, exceeding the Great Depression of 1929–33. Both communist and post-communist statistics are deeply flawed, however—and in different ways.
- Topic: Communism, Economics
- Political Geography: Eastern Europe