You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution Stockholm International Peace Research Institute Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Stockholm International Peace Research Institute Publication Year within 3 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 3 Years Topic Nuclear Power Remove constraint Topic: Nuclear Power
- Author: Tytti Erasto, Sibylle Bauer, Shannon N. Kile, Peter Topychkanov
- Publication Date: 04-2018
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Stockholm International Peace Research Institute
- Abstract: Recognizing that the current international context is hardly conducive to arms control and disarmament, SIPRI working paper ‘Setting the stage for progress towards nuclear disarmament’ identifies 10 practical steps to revitalize the 1968 Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) as the principal normative and legal foundation of the global nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation regime. At the same time, it recognizes the NPT’s inherent compatibility with other disarmament initiatives, most notably the 2017 Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons. In addition to restoring a sense of common purpose and addressing ‘old’ nuclear weapon-related risks, the paper highlights ‘new’ risks arising from developments in conventional capabilities and emerging technologies. The overarching objective is to set the stage for future concrete steps and initiatives to reduce the role of nuclear weapons and to eventually eliminate them.
- Topic: Peace Studies, Nuclear Power
- Political Geography: Global Focus