You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution NATO Defense College Remove constraint Publishing Institution: NATO Defense College Political Geography America Remove constraint Political Geography: America Topic International Security Remove constraint Topic: International Security
- Author: Christopher M. Schnaubelt
- Publication Date: 11-2009
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: NATO Defense College
- Abstract: This paper presents an analysis of the so-called "Af-Pak" strategy and what it means for the NATO and its International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) mission. Because the role of NATO in the Pakistan portion of the strategy is extremely limited, this paper focuses on the elements directed toward efforts in Afghanistan. It is based completely upon open-source materials. The primary sources are three key documents: the White House press release on what's new in the strategy, President Obama's remarks announcing the strategy, and an interagency white paper that was released simultaneously. These are complemented by published interviews with and newspaper quotes from key individuals such as General David Petraeus, the commanding general of US Central Command and head of the American combatant command responsible for US military efforts in Afghanistan.
- Topic: NATO, International Security, Military Strategy, Counterinsurgency
- Political Geography: Pakistan, Afghanistan, America