You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution Danish Institute for International Studies Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Danish Institute for International Studies Political Geography Asia Remove constraint Political Geography: Asia Topic Poverty Remove constraint Topic: Poverty
- Author: Neil Webster
- Publication Date: 11-2009
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Danish Institute for International Studies
- Abstract: There are two fundamentally different understandings of how to bring about development. One argues that through the right policies it is possible to create an enabling environment for the development of people and societies. The other emphasises that development can only take place if those who are supposed to benefit from it, insist on it themselves. In the second understanding development cannot be created from above or from outside. So-called cash transfer programmes having spread from Latin America to Africa and Asia are based on this understanding as they transfer money to poor people on certain conditions. The question is to what extent these programmes contribute to development.
- Topic: Development, Poverty, Foreign Aid
- Political Geography: Africa, Asia, Latin America