You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution Center for Global Development Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Center for Global Development Political Geography Uganda Remove constraint Political Geography: Uganda Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Topic Health Remove constraint Topic: Health
- Author: Dean Karlan, Pia Raffler, Greg Fischer, Margaret McConnell
- Publication Date: 11-2014
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Center for Global Development
- Abstract: In a field experiment in Uganda, we find that demand after a free distribution of three health products is lower than after a sale distribution. This contrasts with work on insecticide-treated bed nets, highlighting the importance of product characteristics in determining pricing policy. We put forward a model to illustrate the potential tension between two important factors, learning and anchoring, and then test this model with three products selected specifically for their variation in the scope for learning. We find the rank order of shifts in demand matches with the theoretical prediction, although the differences are not statistically significant.
- Topic: Development, Health
- Political Geography: Uganda, Africa