You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution Aspen Institute Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Aspen Institute Political Geography Asia Remove constraint Political Geography: Asia Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years
- Author: Shanthi Kalathil
- Publication Date: 04-2014
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Aspen Institute
- Abstract: The revolution will not only be televised, it will be instantly transmitted. When dictators fall, the world watches in real time; when complex negotiations take place, global public opinion has a seat at the table; and in crisis situations, immediately is not soon enough. Widespread access to information and communication technology (ICT) has permanently changed the face of international relations. In particular, it has transformed the conceptualization and practice of diplomacy. As non-state actors become increasingly empowered, diplomacy has come to encompass not only state-state relations, but various forms of state- citizen and citizen-citizen relations as well, all enacted in full view of the public. Diplomatic actors, institutions and processes are in the process of adapting-some faster than others-to these new realities.
- Topic: International Relations, Diplomacy, Science and Technology
- Political Geography: Asia, Southeast Asia