You searched for: Content Type Special Report Remove constraint Content Type: Special Report Political Geography North Korea Remove constraint Political Geography: North Korea Topic International Relations Remove constraint Topic: International Relations
- Author: Edward Fishman, Peter Harrell, Elizabeth Rosenberg
- Publication Date: 07-2017
- Content Type: Special Report
- Institution: Center for a New American Security
- Abstract: North Korea has emerged as one of the most significant national security threats facing the United States and its allies today. Since leader Kim Jong Un came to power in 2011, North Korea has accelerated the pace of its nuclear tests, and appears to have made substantial progress in developing operational medium-, long-range, and intercontinental ballistic missiles. Many experts assess that if left unchecked, Pyongyang could develop the capability to strike the contiguous United States with a nuclear warhead within 5–10 years. Because of that, in June 2017 U.S. Defense Secretary James Mattis characterized North Korea as “the most urgent and dangerous threat” to U.S. peace and security.
- Topic: International Relations, International Security, International Affairs
- Political Geography: North Korea, Global Focus