You searched for: Content Type Special Report Remove constraint Content Type: Special Report Publishing Institution Council on Foreign Relations Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Council on Foreign Relations Topic Global Security Remove constraint Topic: Global Security
- Author: Laura K. Donohue
- Publication Date: 06-2017
- Content Type: Special Report
- Institution: Council on Foreign Relations
- Abstract: On December 31, 2017, section 702 of the 2008 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Amendments Act (FAA) will expire. Section 702 governs the domestic interception of foreigners’ communications, when the targets are believed to be outside the United States. Although externally directed, this statute is being used by agencies to monitor, collect, and search U.S. citizens’ communications for foreign intelligence and criminal activity. Congress has an opportunity to amend section 702 to safeguard U.S. national security, protect citizens, and comply with the Constitution.
- Topic: Global Security
- Political Geography: America