You searched for: Content Type Special Report Remove constraint Content Type: Special Report Publishing Institution Carnegie Endowment for International Peace Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace Political Geography Middle East Remove constraint Political Geography: Middle East
- Author: Maha Yahya
- Publication Date: 06-2017
- Content Type: Special Report
- Institution: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- Abstract: Lebanon’s and Iraq’s political systems are based on sectarian and ethnic power-sharing. In summer 2015, both countries faced popular protests demanding better governance. These protests began over poor service provision but escalated into opposition to the countries’ overarching power-sharing systems. These demonstrations were framed as nonsectarian, civic responses to deteriorating conditions and corrupt leadership. While protestors raised hopes that change was possible, their curtailment by the sectarian leadership underlined the challenges of political transformation in divided societies.
- Topic: International Relations, International Security
- Political Geography: Middle East