You searched for: Content Type Special Report Remove constraint Content Type: Special Report Publishing Institution Institute for the Study of War Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Institute for the Study of War Political Geography Russia Remove constraint Political Geography: Russia Topic Intelligence Remove constraint Topic: Intelligence
- Author: Maria Snegovaya
- Publication Date: 09-2015
- Content Type: Special Report
- Institution: Institute for the Study of War
- Abstract: Russia has been using an advanced form of hybrid warfare in Ukraine since early 2014 that relies heavily on an element of information warfare that the Russians call “reflexive control.” Reflexive control causes a stronger adversary voluntarily to choose the actions most advantageous to Russian objectives by shaping the adversary’s perceptions of the situation decisively. Moscow has used this technique skillfully to persuade the U.S. and its European allies to remain largely passive in the face of Russia’s efforts to disrupt and dismantle Ukraine through military and non-military means. The West must become alert to the use of reflexive control techniques and find ways to counter them if it is to succeed in an era of hybrid war.
- Topic: Intelligence, International Security
- Political Geography: Russia