You searched for: Content Type Special Report Remove constraint Content Type: Special Report Publishing Institution Atlantic Council Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Atlantic Council Political Geography Europe Remove constraint Political Geography: Europe Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Topic Refugee Crisis Remove constraint Topic: Refugee Crisis
- Author: Seth Kaplan
- Publication Date: 12-2016
- Content Type: Special Report
- Institution: Atlantic Council
- Abstract: Eritrea is often in the news for all the wrong reasons: its high rates of migration to Europe (it has sent more refugees to Europe in recent years than any other African nation), its conflicts with neighboring Ethiopia and Djibouti, and controversy over its mandatory and indefinite national service conscription program. Human rights activists, in particular, have long singled out the country for criticism, calling it “the North Korea of Africa.” The inappropriateness of that comparison is increasingly recognized—but misunderstandings about the nature of the Eritrean regime continue to abound.
- Topic: Migration, Refugee Crisis
- Political Geography: Africa, Europe, Eritrea