You searched for: Content Type Research Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Research Paper Political Geography Middle East Remove constraint Political Geography: Middle East Topic International Trade and Finance Remove constraint Topic: International Trade and Finance
- Author: Gil Feiler, Hayim Zeev
- Publication Date: 04-2017
- Content Type: Research Paper
- Institution: ￼￼The Begin-Sadat Centre for Strategic Studies (BESA)
- Abstract: Under the leadership of Sheikh Hamad al-Thani (1995-2013), Qatar established itself as a regional mini superpower. It launched and subsidized the global media giant Al Jazeera, poured billions into its unrivalled liquefied natural gas infrastructure, made a successful bid for the 2022 FIFA World Cup, and diversified its economy through international acquisitions by its Qatari Investment Authority. This newfound wealth emboldened the emirate to attempt to broaden its diplomatic profile and extend its influence. And it is in this sphere that its maverick foreign policy, which at times spanned the world’s most fraught ideological lines, has led to increased tensions with its immediate neighbors and some unequivocal diplomatic disasters.
- Topic: Diplomacy, International Trade and Finance, Global Political Economy
- Political Geography: Middle East