You searched for: Content Type Research Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Research Paper Political Geography Global Focus Remove constraint Political Geography: Global Focus Topic Security Remove constraint Topic: Security
- Author: Toby Dalton, Wyatt Hoffman, Ariel Levite, Li Bin, George Perkovich, Tong Zhao
- Publication Date: 03-2017
- Content Type: Research Paper
- Institution: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- Abstract: There is no clear, internationally accepted definition of what activities or technologies constitute a nuclear weapons program. This lack of definition encumbers nuclear energy cooperation and complicates peaceful resolution of proliferation disputes. A “nuclear firewall” could enhance the distinction between nuclear weapons–related activities and other non-weapons uses of nuclear technology. Applying a firewall framework for analyzing nuclear programs could improve international governance of nuclear technology and facilitate peaceful nuclear cooperation and disarmament. It could also expand the time and means available to key states and international bodies, such as the International Atomic Energy Agency and United Nations Security Council, to diplomatically resolve impending proliferation crises.
- Topic: Security, Defense Policy, Nuclear Weapons
- Political Geography: Global Focus