You searched for: Content Type Research Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Research Paper Political Geography Egypt Remove constraint Political Geography: Egypt Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Topic Authoritarianism Remove constraint Topic: Authoritarianism
- Author: Amr Hamzawy
- Publication Date: 03-2017
- Content Type: Research Paper
- Institution: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- Abstract: Egypt’s new authoritarian regime is rapidly closing the public space—cracking down on autonomous civil society and independent political parties, asphyxiating the practice of pluralist politics, and thwarting citizens’ peaceful and active engagement in public affairs. The government’s primary strategy is to institute wide-scale repression through lawmaking and justify its behavior through conspiratorial and populist narratives. With unprecedented resolve, it has passed new protest and terrorism laws, introduced legal amendments targeting nongovernmental organizations, and extended the military court’s jurisdiction. Essentially, the regime is adapting lawmaking for its own purposes. To fight against the tide, those challenging the system need to fully understand how.
- Topic: Governance, Authoritarianism, Democracy
- Political Geography: Egypt