You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Political Geography Kenya Remove constraint Political Geography: Kenya Publication Year within 3 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 3 Years Topic Development Remove constraint Topic: Development
- Author: Ries Kamphof
- Publication Date: 11-2016
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Clingendael Netherlands Institute for International Relations
- Abstract: This policy brief addresses the opportunities for and impediments to green growth and energy security in Kenya. It is part of a two-year research project on energy security and green growth in middle income countries by means of political economy analysis. Other project outputs can be found here. Kenya has taken a leading role in the region on several fronts, including its ambitions to address climate change and boost green growth while improving the country’s energy security. Efforts have been underway to realise this goal. Most vividly illustrated by the execution of large-scale geothermal, hydro and wind power projects. Yet, not all is straightforward. Constitutional reform has led to a new institutional framework which presents both opportunities and obstacles to green growth implementation. Moreover, the presence of oil and coal reserves and the ambition to exploit these threaten efforts to build a low-carbon economy. Kenya is currently at crossroads, and decisions taken today may influence its green growth potential for the decades to come.
- Topic: Development, Energy Policy, Environment
- Political Geography: Kenya