You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution The Cato Institute Remove constraint Publishing Institution: The Cato Institute Political Geography Washington Remove constraint Political Geography: Washington Topic Defense Policy Remove constraint Topic: Defense Policy
- Author: Ted Galen Carpenter
- Publication Date: 05-2001
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: The Cato Institute
- Abstract: When he pledged to do whatever was necessary—even use U.S. military forces—to help Taiwan defend itself, President George W. Bush seemingly replaced Washington's long-standing policy of “strategic ambiguity” with a policy of strategic clarity. Although the president and his advisers subsequently retreated from his initial rhetorical stance, both China and Taiwan are likely to believe that Bush's original statement accurately reflects U.S. policy. That creates an extremely dangerous situation for the United States.
- Topic: Security, Defense Policy, Politics
- Political Geography: United States, China, Washington, Taiwan, Asia