You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution Peterson Institute for International Economics Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Peterson Institute for International Economics Political Geography Global Focus Remove constraint Political Geography: Global Focus Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Topic Emerging Markets Remove constraint Topic: Emerging Markets
- Author: Tomas Hellebrandt, Paolo Mauro
- Publication Date: 12-2015
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Peterson Institute for International Economics
- Abstract: In the next two decades, hundreds of millions of people in emerging economies are projected to reach income levels at which they will be able to afford cars and air travel. As purchasing power increases worldwide, people will spend proportionately less on food and beverages and more on transportation. Higher spending on transportation, especially in China, India, and Sub-Saharan Africa, will increase pressures on the infrastructure in these economies and aggravate global climate change. Governments will need to respond to these challenges in a fiscally sustainable and environmentally responsible way.
- Topic: Emerging Markets, International Trade and Finance, Politics, Economies
- Political Geography: Global Focus