You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA) Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA) Publication Year within 25 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 25 Years Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Publication Year within 3 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 3 Years Topic International Trade and Finance Remove constraint Topic: International Trade and Finance
- Author: Masahito Ambashi
- Publication Date: 01-2017
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA)
- Abstract: This policy brief presents an overview of the ASEAN economy in terms of its economic relationship with multinationals, particularly Japanese companies, that have long invested in this region. ASEAN has been an attractor of foreign direct investment (FDI). Business interest in ASEAN has increased again recently due to the (i) relatively low wage of ASEAN compared to China, (ii) establishment of the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC), (iii) economic partnership network with a core of ASEAN countries, (iv) large-scale market covered by ASEAN, and (v) rise of CLMV countries (Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, and Viet Nam). In these trends, ASEAN has established a reciprocal economic relationship with other countries and regions. To develop its economy, ASEAN member states are expected to further advance the AEC at a high level. Hence, ASEAN must address challenges such as deepening further economic integration and narrowing development gaps in the region. Most importantly, ASEAN still needs to increase the attractiveness of its 'whole region' as an essential and integral part of global value chains to draw further FDI.
- Topic: Economics, International Political Economy, International Trade and Finance, Global Political Economy
- Political Geography: Japan, Southeast Asia