You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Political Geography European Union Remove constraint Political Geography: European Union Publication Year within 25 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 25 Years Topic Geopolitics Remove constraint Topic: Geopolitics
- Author: Luis Simon
- Publication Date: 11-2016
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Clingendael Netherlands Institute for International Relations
- Abstract: The global proliferation of precision-strike systems and the concomitant emergence of anti-access and area denial (A2/AD) capabilities challenges the foundations of Western global military-technological supremacy. What does this mean for current EU debates on military ambition? This policy brief argues that the assumption of the freedom of (military) access and movement, which has guided European strategic thinking since the end of the Cold War, is no longer valid. Europeans should get to grips with the new military-strategic paradigm and translate this into an updated ambition level and related capabilities.
- Topic: International Affairs, Military Strategy, Military Affairs, Geopolitics
- Political Geography: Europe, European Union