You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution United States Institute of Peace Remove constraint Publishing Institution: United States Institute of Peace Political Geography United States Remove constraint Political Geography: United States Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Topic Political Violence Remove constraint Topic: Political Violence
- Author: Nadia Naviwala
- Publication Date: 04-2014
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: United States Institute of Peace
- Abstract: PakVotes, a pilot project supported by the U.S. Institute of Peace (USIP), used social media platforms and a network of reporters located in areas outside of major cities in Pakistan to track violence during the 2013 elections. The project offers lessons that could guide future efforts to use social media to record and publicize conflicts and the use of violence during elections and other major events. The hashtag #PakVotes trended for several days around elections, serving as a popular alternative news source to the mainstream media, which was not as diverse in its geographic coverage, sources or story types.
- Topic: Political Violence, Democratization, Non-Governmental Organization, Science and Technology, Mass Media
- Political Geography: Pakistan, United States, South Asia