You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution Oxfam Publishing Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Oxfam Publishing Political Geography Myanmar Remove constraint Political Geography: Myanmar Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Topic Foreign Aid Remove constraint Topic: Foreign Aid
- Author: Jasmine Burnley, Javier Pereira
- Publication Date: 01-2014
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Oxfam Publishing
- Abstract: In 2011, following decades of isolation, Myanmar embarked on an unprecedented reform process, raising hopes for a new democracy. These reforms have been welcomed by the international community with rising levels of aid. If properly handled and spent, aid offers an opportunity to harness Myanmar's economic potential and make it work for poor people – reducing inequality, providing essential services, building resilience, and promoting sustainable investment. This paper explores what good-quality aid should look like for Myanmar, what it could deliver for those living in poverty, and what decision makers can learn from other countries, to ensure that aid is a catalyst for democratic reform, equitable growth, and peace.
- Topic: Democratization, Economics, Poverty, Foreign Aid
- Political Geography: Southeast Asia, Myanmar