You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution Oxfam Publishing Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Oxfam Publishing Political Geography Myanmar Remove constraint Political Geography: Myanmar Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Topic Food Remove constraint Topic: Food
- Author: Jodie Thorpe
- Publication Date: 08-2014
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Oxfam Publishing
- Abstract: Myanmar is undergoing intense and rapid changes. Policies formulated today will determine the future path of political and economic development. Modernization of the country's agricultural sector is, rightly, a priority. However, mechanization and large–scale agricultural investment is not the only option. Small farm development provides a commercially viable option with better outcomes in terms of poverty reduction and positive impacts on other sectors. Small farms absorb labour, allow communities to build assets and help local markets flourish. It is crucial that Myanmar promotes the right type of agricultural investment – that which supports the country's millions of small-scale farmers and farm labourers, as well as their families.
- Topic: Agriculture, Economics, Food
- Political Geography: Myanmar