You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution Oxfam Publishing Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Oxfam Publishing Political Geography Caribbean Remove constraint Political Geography: Caribbean Topic Agriculture Remove constraint Topic: Agriculture
- Author: Tonny Joseph
- Publication Date: 10-2012
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Oxfam Publishing
- Abstract: The devastating earthquake that struck Haiti on January 12, 2010 exacerbated the country's grinding poverty and serious development problems, while at the same time worsening Haitian living conditions. The tremor killed over 250,000 people and injured 300, 000. It crippled the economy, causing losses estimated at almost 120 percent of gross domestic product (GDP). Nevertheless, economic growth is expected to rise between 7 and 9 percent in 2012, largely owing to reconstruction efforts. The population in internally displaced persons camps has decreased from 1.5 million to around 390,000 (according to the June 2012 report of the International Organization for Migration), and the country's hurricane preparedness capacity has increased.
- Topic: Agriculture, Development, Gender Issues, Government, Food, Fragile/Failed State
- Political Geography: Caribbean, Haiti