You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution European Union Institute for Security Studies Remove constraint Publishing Institution: European Union Institute for Security Studies Political Geography Arabia Remove constraint Political Geography: Arabia Topic Conflict Resolution Remove constraint Topic: Conflict Resolution
- Author: Florence Gaub
- Publication Date: 12-2013
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: European Union Institute for Security Studies
- Abstract: In 2011, Arab security forces, long suspected to be inextricably linked to their respective regimes, once again became decisive political agents in their own right: agents of change, agents of repression and, in some cases, both. Their facilitation or suppression of democratic transitions has sparked a long-overdue debate on security sector reform in the Arab world. What are the main features of security sectors in the region? What are the main obstacles to reform? And why is this debate taking place only now?
- Topic: Conflict Resolution, Security, Democratization, Regime Change
- Political Geography: Arabia