You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution Council on Foreign Relations Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Council on Foreign Relations Political Geography United States Remove constraint Political Geography: United States Topic Reform Remove constraint Topic: Reform
- Author: Edward Alden, Rebecca Strauss
- Publication Date: 05-2014
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Council on Foreign Relations
- Abstract: Each year, U.S. state and local governments spend tens of billions of dollars to lure or retain business investment. The subsidies waste scarce taxpayer dollars that could better be used to strengthen public services such as education and infrastructure, or to lower overall tax burdens to create a more favorable investment climate. No state wants to dole out such subsidies, but most fear losing jobs to competing states if they refuse. States should take steps to curb subsidies, beginning with greater disclosure and cost-benefit analyses, and building up to a multistate agreement that creates strong disincentives for continuing subsidies. Existing international arrangements provide models and tools for achieving this.
- Topic: Economics, International Trade and Finance, Governance, Reform
- Political Geography: United States, North America