You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution Africa Center for Strategic Studies Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Africa Center for Strategic Studies Political Geography Washington Remove constraint Political Geography: Washington Topic Terrorism Remove constraint Topic: Terrorism
- Author: Zachary Devlin-Foltz
- Publication Date: 08-2010
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Africa Center for Strategic Studies
- Abstract: Africa's fragile states create political and security environments that enhance the leverage of Islamist extremists in their ongoing struggle with moderates for influence. Countering extremism in Africa, therefore, cannot be separated from building stronger, more legitimate states. Robust state security operations can neutralize extremists in the short term. However, they are an insufficient long-term counterextremism strategy unless coupled with opportunities for moderates to engage in the political process. In fragile states, maintaining moderate Islamist support for the state should be a central stabilization objective.
- Topic: Conflict Prevention, Terrorism, Fragile/Failed State
- Political Geography: Africa, Washington