You searched for: Content Type Journal Article Remove constraint Content Type: Journal Article Publishing Institution United Nations University Remove constraint Publishing Institution: United Nations University
- Author: Guanghua Wan
- Publication Date: 06-2007
- Content Type: Journal Article
- Institution: United Nations University
- Abstract: A large group of smallish countries totalling about a billion people have sheered off from the rest of mankind. As the world becomes more socially integrated this giant pool of poverty will be both unacceptable and explosive. It is the world's biggest economic problem and we need to do something about it. To know what to do we need to start with a diagnosis. While the common fate of the bottom billion has been stagnation and poverty there has been no single cause. In my recently published book The Bottom Billion I propose four distinct traps that between them account for the problem, each requiring a distinct remedy. I also argue that globalization, though it has been benign for the majority of the developing world, is not working for the bottom billion and is not likely to do so. On the contrary, it is liable to make them increasingly marginalized.
- Political Geography: China, Europe