You searched for: Content Type Commentary and Analysis Remove constraint Content Type: Commentary and Analysis Political Geography European Union Remove constraint Political Geography: European Union Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Publication Year within 25 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 25 Years Topic Foreign Policy Remove constraint Topic: Foreign Policy
- Author: Sven Biscop
- Publication Date: 01-2016
- Content Type: Commentary and Analysis
- Institution: Elcano Royal Institute
- Abstract: If it cannot offer more than building up resilience, the EU risks locking itself out of its own neighbourhood. While external and regional powers are engaged in fierce geopolitical competition in Europe’s neighbourhood, the EU itself wants to focus on building up the resilience of its neighbours. Not only is it far from clear who is to be made resilient against what where there is no more or less benign government but, where countries are only just coming out of war, their first priority is national survival and their demand is for security guarantees. Would sovereignty and equality not be a better Leitmotiv for EU strategy in the neighbourhood?
- Topic: International Relations, Foreign Policy, Sovereignty
- Political Geography: European Union