You searched for: Content Type Commentary and Analysis Remove constraint Content Type: Commentary and Analysis Publishing Institution The Begin-Sadat Centre for Strategic Studies (BESA) Remove constraint Publishing Institution: The Begin-Sadat Centre for Strategic Studies (BESA) Political Geography Europe Remove constraint Political Geography: Europe Topic Climate Change Remove constraint Topic: Climate Change
- Author: Katerina Sokou, Aristotle Tziampiris
- Publication Date: 10-2019
- Content Type: Commentary and Analysis
- Institution: The Begin-Sadat Centre for Strategic Studies (BESA)
- Abstract: The challenging geography of Greece makes it hard for the country to take full advantage of its natural resources and expand its energy grid. Though it has doubled its share of renewables, it needs to redouble those efforts to reach the EU’s ambitious goal of covering a third of its energy needs from renewable sources by 2030. The Greek islands that have been at the forefront of the migration and refugee crises would particularly benefit from a targeted policy to reach that goal, as the transition would increase their energy security, reduce their energy costs, and diversify their economies. Greece has the potential to be a model of sustainability that would enhance the stability of the entire Eastern Med.
- Topic: Security, Climate Change, Energy Policy, Natural Resources, Refugee Crisis, Sustainability
- Political Geography: Europe, Greece, Mediterranean