You searched for: Content Type Commentary and Analysis Remove constraint Content Type: Commentary and Analysis Publishing Institution Institut français des relations internationales (IFRI) Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Institut français des relations internationales (IFRI) Political Geography Iran Remove constraint Political Geography: Iran Topic Energy Policy Remove constraint Topic: Energy Policy
- Author: Olivier Appert
- Publication Date: 10-2018
- Content Type: Commentary and Analysis
- Institution: Institut français des relations internationales (IFRI)
- Abstract: The 14 July 2015 Vienna agreement on Iran’s nuclear activities (Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action – JCPoA) was a game changer on the geopolitics in the Middle East and for the oil market. The oil sanctions were lifted and Iran increased significantly its production and exports. On 8 May 2018, President Trump announced that the United Stated (US) would withdraw from the agreement. Financial sanctions were reintroduced. From 5 November 2018 onwards, further sanctions will be re-imposed more specifically on petroleum related transactions, including the purchase of petroleum, petroleum products and petrochemical products. What could be the impact of this new embargo? Is there a risk of a new oil supply and price shock?
- Topic: Energy Policy, Oil, Treaties and Agreements, Sanctions, Global Markets
- Political Geography: Iran, Middle East, United States of America