You searched for: Content Type Commentary and Analysis Remove constraint Content Type: Commentary and Analysis Political Geography Israel Remove constraint Political Geography: Israel Publication Year within 3 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 3 Years Topic Civil War Remove constraint Topic: Civil War
- Author: Amos Yadlin, Gilead Sher
- Publication Date: 08-2017
- Content Type: Commentary and Analysis
- Institution: Institute for National Security Studies (INSS)
- Abstract: The perspective of twelve years since Israel’s disengagement from the Gaza Strip and the northern West Bank confirms that this significant political and security-related event was a correct strategic decision. Regarding the West Bank, it appears that unilateral disengagement as a stand-alone event will not repeat itself. However, a political and security independent process with similar attributes could enable Israel to continue striving for a reality of two states for two peoples, based on a gradual, secure, and responsible end to Israel’s control over the Palestinian people. Efforts should be made to reach agreement with the Palestinians regarding interim measures throughout transitional stages. However, if it becomes clear that an agreement cannot be reached, measures should be implemented independently (regardless of Palestinian consent) aimed at improving Israel’s situation without impairing its security. These measures will need to be carried out in close coordination with the United States and in accordance with US-Israel understandings.
- Topic: Civil War, International Security
- Political Geography: Israel, Gaza