You searched for: Content Type Commentary and Analysis Remove constraint Content Type: Commentary and Analysis Publishing Institution The Soufan Group Remove constraint Publishing Institution: The Soufan Group Political Geography Europe Remove constraint Political Geography: Europe Topic International Security Remove constraint Topic: International Security
- Publication Date: 12-2015
- Content Type: Commentary and Analysis
- Institution: The Soufan Group
- Abstract: In June 2014, The Soufan Group (TSG) released its initial Foreign Fighters in Syria report, which identified approximately 12,000 foreign fighters from 81 countries. Nearly eighteen months later, despite sustained international effort to contain the Islamic State and stem the flow of militants traveling to Syria, the number of foreign fighters has more than doubled. Based on its own investigation, TSG has calculated that between 27,000 and 31,000 people have traveled to Syria and Iraq to join the Islamic State and other violent Salafist groups from at least 86 countries. This increase is evidence that efforts to contain the flow of foreign recruits to the Islamic State and other extremist groups in Syria have had limited impact.
- Topic: International Security
- Political Geography: Europe