You searched for: Content Type Book Remove constraint Content Type: Book Topic Government Remove constraint Topic: Government
- Author: Louise Riis Andersen
- Publication Date: 10-2005
- Content Type: Book
- Institution: Danish Institute for International Studies
- Abstract: Failed states have made it to the top of the international agenda following 11 September 2001. This paper gives an overview of the debate on 'what to do'. Firstly, it suggests an explanation of where these so-called failed states are coming from: Why do some states self-destruct? Secondly, four different approaches to failed states are presented and discussed - with special emphasis on the dilemmas and predicaments they each hold. The paper concludes that the question of what to do with failed states requires a political answer. Not a technical one.
- Topic: International Relations, Security, Government, Terrorism